The system provides a view of the immunization forecast provided by the public health immunization registry (IIS). The display includes the forecast from the registry and includes recommended vaccination dates, minimum (earliest) date, ideal date, and maximum (latest) date for each vaccine included in the forecast.
Marcel Manuel Gonzales, age 2 (birth date 12/24/2012), comes to the provider’s office for a scheduled appointment. The doctor’s office receives a forecast from the public health immunization registry indicating that the fourth dose of DTaP vaccine is overdue as of 06/25/2014 and the second dose of Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended to be administered 03/24/2015.
Feedback from EHR vendors and providers suggest that the value of the history from the immunization registry is to update patients’ vaccination records in the EHR. During the reconciliation process, the provider determines which information to accept or which to reject as a duplicate. The value of displaying the initial forecast received from the registry is unclear since reconciliation of the vaccine history may cause an update to the forecast. Further feedback is invited about the value of this capability.
- Vendor Perspective. Vendors should collaborate with public health immunization registries and provider to harmonize capabilities and determine workflow.
- Provider and Implementer Perspective. Providers should collaborate with public health immunization registries and EHR vendors to harmonize capabilities and determine workflow.
Click here for a test script scenario that includes query, response, and reconciliation. The script also indicates successful performance for each of the test sections.
Data elements required include:
- Immunization schedule used;
- Date vaccine due;
- Earliest date to administer;
- Latest date next dose may be administered;
- Date overdue; and
- Dose number in a series.